Planting good food and cultivating a thriving community and ecosystem

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Harvesting a Seed Crop and Purslane Salsa

It's been a long time since we've talked, I know.  People warned me farming was hard. Summer is the hardest part. Call it naivety, call it willful ignorance, call it a lack of imagination...whatever it was, I don't think I knew what was coming. It's here, it's really hard, and I am learning some important things about myself, my marriage, and my passion and what all of those are REALLY made out of. I try in this blog to include you in my experience without complaining. I am trying really hard to balance my narrative and keep it informative and entertaining. I feel like spring and summer are making that really hard. We'll make it through, I just need everyone's continuing support! Also lemonade, I wouldn't mind a kind face with a lemonade and a thank you for what you're doing. Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?


One of the things I have found hard to have good humor about lately is the heat. Yes, even when it is blisteringly hot, we have to be outside working. For us, our motivation is us being still a bit behind and trying to get caught back up. So what on earth is a crazy person like me doing in 100*+ heat? Well, one thing we've been up to lately is harvesting our seed crop. We grew some beautiful mizuna this past fall and winter and let it go to seed. The seed pods have only recently dried out and need to be harvested. It's a pretty cool process, hard to explain- so here are some pictures!

Here is a combine. Also, here is Robert driving it! It is a wonderful, terrifying machine.

This brown dry looking stuff is old mizuna that's gone to seed. Also weeds, the ever-present farm accessory. This will get harvested too, but because they're green, they aren't viable and will get sifted out when we sort out the seeds. Here you can see the front end of the combine cutting the stalks. Those fingers on the wheel turn and help scoop up the mizuna.

The cut mizuna stalks travel up that slanted arm out on the front of the combine. There is a belt that helps pull it up too.

Here is a buttload of mizuna getting pulled into what I understand to be something like a bill feeder on a vending machine. Although this one grinds the snot out of anything that comes through it.

This is the back of the combine. All the extra stalks, leaves, seed pods and other plant parts (called chaff) are blown out the back here. It gets pretty intense so I like to wear a mask to keep as much chaff out of my lungs as possible. This does not keep me from finding it in my pockets, shoes, down my shirt, or in my hair...
Once you have about half seeds and half chaff sorted out, the sifting and winnowing begins. That is a whole other process for a whole other day!

Today though, let's make salsa! Have you ever tried napoles salsa? Napoles are de-thorned cactus paddles that are sometimes cured and sold in a jar or used fresh in salsa. They're a bit like okra or purslane in their texture. I can't think of a nice way to say it...but they're slimy. This gave me the recipe for this week's recipe swapping out napoles for purslane. Nothing against napoles, I am sure they're nutritious, but purslane is out of this world nutritious! It is jam-packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins...oh my! Also, we don't have napoles yet, we have purslane. Let's use what we've got!

Purslane Salsa


Purslane Salsa

1 lb Purslane
1 Small Red Onion
2-3 Green Onions
2 Limes
2 Large Tomatoes
1 Small Bunch Cilantro
Hot Peppers and Salt as desired

Mince veggies, chop tomatoes, juice limes, and mix! BAM! Delicious! Serve with chips and a cold beer in the shade!

*Feel free to embellish!
-add avocado
-Roast your tomatoes
-Use different onions
-Use lemons instead of limes
-Add re-hydrated chilies

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment