Planting good food and cultivating a thriving community and ecosystem

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Falling with Style, Fried Peppers and Taters, and Late Spring Kale Salad

There's a quote on the bathroom mirror at the Ramming's: "We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities". It's sort of the farm's unofficial motto. We're working on trying to look at things in with the lens of, "Ooh, there is so much to do- so there is so much to choose from!" It seems to give my blood pressure a rest to see things that way anyway.

We've been dreaming of one of these future opportunities quite a lot lately! We've been mulling over the prospect of something akin to a beer CSA. Here is a picture from some "field research" we did with a local home-brewer.
We were told that drinking beer while making beer is a rule. The other rule was that you had to eat snacks. It was as awful as it sounds. In just a few weeks we'll have a strawberry blonde and apricot wheat ale made with our own fruit!
Even though summer isn't officially here, I am just a half a bed away from having the whole summer garden planted out. Our last round of tomatoes and melons are going out soon too. In no time at all winter squash is going out and the fall crop plan is tugging at the back of my mind. Which is all kinds of nonsense to my "normal-job"-oriented brain.
Speaking of not normal...This was left at the farm stand for us. Note the sticker. It starts with a PLU of 4, making it conventional, so-not ours (thank heavens). What on earth is this you ask? Good question. Looks to me like the seeds inside sprouted. Why? No clue. Freaky though!


Another thing to get used to- using a Carrolla to deliver produce. Or, driving a giant truck to the farmers market in Hello Kitty shoes, riding an ATV in a dress, having drip tape rolls on your kitchen floor, and harvest tubs in your living room. It comes with the territory I suppose. You make do with what you have though.
This is 200 pounds of tomatoes that I took into the Sacramento Food Bank this morning! Delivered like a boss.


It seems that a lot of farming is run by the seat of your pants and making do with what you have; Buzz Lightyear's "falling with style" methodology comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, there is planning. So, so much planning. I'll share a spreadsheet with you sometime. Though, the first casualty of the season is always the plan. Beds might not be the right length you had assumed, your germination might be terrible or better, the weather might conspire against you, bugs, family issues...life really. What makes you a good farmer though is your ability to adapt. Let's be honest, everyone can grow vegetables. Yes, even on this scale. I am sure I could even teach you to work a tractor in a weekend.

But, what makes you successful? At this scale, it's your personality. Sure, I am physically exchanging vegetables for money, but I am selling ideas, passions, ideals and the like. You have a lot to choose from in the veggie market, at least in Northern California. But, why did you choose me? We're most likely friends or acquaintances or you're my wife's co-worker...point is you met me somewhere and liked what I did and wanted to support me. You believe in what we're trying to do and you choose my stall at the market, my veggie box, my farm stand to visit out of the dozens of choices you have.

I am thankful to have the support of you all as customers. I do try to make a special effort to make sure that you are happy with your veggies, feel in the loop with what is going on at the farm, are learning new things all the time, and are making your way through your veggie box.

To help you find your way through this one, since it is starting to have more summer things that I haven't shared recipes for, I'll share two this week. The first is a copy cat recipe from Hook and Ladder in Sacramento. Tarra and I like to treat ourselves every blue moon to their delicious cocktails and tasty eats. They make the best fries and fried shishito plate that we can't bring ourselves to resist! They serve it with fries, but I think country potatoes are easier to pull off at home.

Peppers and Taters

3 potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
2 handfuls frying peppers
Lemon
Salt

Heat a cast iron skillet for several minutes on high. Add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Cube potatoes and chop onion. Add the two and fry until browned. Remove from the pan. Reheat the pan and add more oil. Fry peppers until ½ of their surface area is charred. Serve on top of potatoes. Spritz with lemon juice add salt!

Pepper and Tater Sauce
Mayo/Sour Cream/yogurt
Hot sauce

Use your condiment of choice or a mix- add hot sauce and dip your fried goodies. Fry an egg to top this off and BAM- dinner

This next recipe is one of my favorite ways to "enjoy" kale. I know it's terrific for you, but does it have to be so...green tasting? This salad will knock your socks off and make you forgive kale for the moment, or love it even more if you were already a convert to the ways of this superfood. 

Late Spring Kale Salad

1 bunch kale, massaged and torn into small pieces
1 bunch basil, chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
1 small head cabbage (or 1/2 a medium one), shredded
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 spring onions, diced
1 lemon
Salt

Massage kale with your fat of choice. Prep all veggies and toss into a bowl. Salt to taste and squeeze lemon over the whole shebang. Let sit for at least an hour to let flavors mingle (this is called maceration, look at you being all fancy!). Dress salad with your favorite dressing. I recommend:

Avocado Lime Dressing 
 
2 cloves garlic
3 limes, juiced
1/2 of a bunch of cilantro
1 avocado
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 jalapeno- optional



Toss everything in a blender and GO! Thin with milk if desired. Salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment