Planting good food and cultivating a thriving community and ecosystem

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just a Note and Tender Heat Tabbouleh

We're out of the fire for the moment. Nothing is at risk of being completely lost. I feel almost like I can breathe...almost. Summer so far has been a hard grind. More sunlight hours means I can stay longer, and find myself doing just that. I've lost 15 pounds in two months. I just keep telling myself that this is the first year, the first full summer, it'll be easier next time. One can wish anyway.

Summer's bounty has started to pour in. Large colorful fruits are swelling on the vine, dragon flies are swarming, and the bunnies have taken their cue to begin mating like, well, bunnies. We've had some things work adequately, others not so much. It's an o.k. year so far, better than last, but I'm holding out hopes for next year.

In the meantime, here is this to entertain you:

I found this gopher snake trying to eat a chicken egg. It was obviously not going to happen for him. I wouldn't mind sharing an egg or two with beneficial snake friends, I just wish he would get to work on all the gophers...




This is what happens when you turn your back on summer squash for a few days. It becomes pretty inedible with thick, pithy flesh and hard seeds. Chickens loved it though!

The recipe this week is a creative take on tabbouleh. I personally hate parsley and find bulgar to be dry. This recipe allows for personal preferences and adds some more early summer veggies to the mix.

Tender Heart Tabbouleh

1-2 Cups cooked grain (I prefer quinoa)
1 lb tomatoes, diced
1/4 lb tomatillos, dry roasted* and quartered
1 small cabbage (~2-3C), shredded
1 Bunch green onions
1/2 Bunch basil
1 Bunch mint
Olive oil
2 lemons, juiced and zested

Prep all ingredients and toss together! Salad is better the next day! 
*Heat a cast iron skillet dry for 5 minutes on medium heat. Toss in husked and rinsed tomatillos. Cook on each side until partially blackened. Inside should be soft but not mush. Toast 'em hot and fast!

This salad is nothing but versatile. Here are some suggestions to shake things up:

-Add Aleppo pepper or Harissa
-Add roasted red pepper
-Serve on a bed of lettuce
-Use cherry tomatoes
-Add garbanzo beans and feta for a full meal
-Omit basil and mint and use cilantro and parsley
-Use flavored olive oils

Use what you have! Use what you like! Do anything- just keep adding more veggies!


1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! I'm going to try this using freekah as the grain.

    ReplyDelete