Planting good food and cultivating a thriving community and ecosystem

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Gearing Up for the Season and Sautéed Broccolini

Things are moving quick now. The soil is almost dry enough to till, and once it's bedded up, it's GO time. There are four beds of onions, six beds of melons and watermelons, two beds of cabbage, four beds of tomatoes, three beds of lettuce, two beds of beets, radishes, and turnips (and a partridge in a pear tree)...and probably three things I am forgetting...ready to go into the ground! The busy season is almost upon us.

We're painting signs to set out on the road to help people find us for U-Pick and farm-stand sales. I got to use some of my art degree skills, and there are fewer things that have made me happy than a short break from hoeing to sit down to paint.

I call it, "lava lamp melon"

We're going to cut these out with a jig-saw. I have never used one, but I assume this can be cut out like this...right?

Makes me wish summer would come sooner. I am dreaming of melon and prosciutto.

I was warned that trying to paint a blackberry is hard. It ends up looking like a bunch of grapes...Juicy grapes though, right?

Abstract apricot. 

The weather warming up is great for all plants, including weeds. They come in thick, like a carpet sometimes, and would love to grow 5' if you let them. FIVE FEET? Surely, you're kidding. Nope, come out this weekend and we'll play hide and seek in them. Byron is a super fan of sleeping in them for shade. He hides so well I think I've lost him sometimes. He's a pretty great farm dog for being as fancy as he is. 

To the right, you'll see lamb's quarter I have hoed out around the lime-green leaves of rainbow chard. to the left you'll see the lovely carpet they're forming, thinking I will be lazy and leave them. HA!

Byron had an epic adventure digging out a ground squirrel home. He dug them out about 3' down and it kept going down. Industrious little buggers.

My wife, Tarra caught this lovely portrait of me working. It was too kitschy not to share.


 This week's recipe is sweet and simple. Sometimes the best ways to treat super-great fresh produce is simple. Broccoli is something that gets a bad rap, especially from kids. I can understand it, I can't stand it raw. Byron on the other hand, loves it. I have to watch him when we're in the garden. He'll sneak off leaves to chew on in the weeds. This recipe for sautéed broccolini might change your tune if you're on the fence about broccoli. The gentle frying brings out broccoli's sweetness, and the lemon and garlic help balance any bitter notes left.

  • Broccoli- whole
  • Garlic-Sliced
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon slices
Pour a thin layer of oil into a good frying pan and heat on med-high until it shimmers. Drop the sliced garlic in and cook it until it just starts to turn golden. Drop the broccoli in whole, yes whole, the leaves and stalks are tender and tasty. Cook until the leaves begin to wilt and the broccoli begins to turn a darker color if not golden in some places. Remove the garlic and broccoli, toss with salt, and spritz with lemon. Serve over cooked whole grains, with a fried egg, or on pizza.

Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment