Planting good food and cultivating a thriving community and ecosystem

Monday, October 28, 2013

First Sales!

I've hit the ground running! Amidst graduation from Farm Academy, the last harvest at Food Bank Farmers, my wife, Tarra taking her Professional Engineer Exam, and life in general- PSG and I have made our first sales! Several thousand root veggies have made their way to the Food Bank. We sent off red cherry radishes and white Japanese turnips that are waiting to be handed out at a Kids Farmers Market.

We also have four beds of lettuces, arrowhead cabbage, Chinese cabbage, scarlet and white turnips that will likely come up and be sent to the Food Bank in the coming week, and another few beds of lettuce and cabbage that just went  in the ground that we'll likely get out to the Food Bank in November.

You may be wondering: What on earth do you do with turnips and radishes? Good question. Honestly, I am not a huge fan myself. BUT, I do have a humble suggestion:

This "Browned Butter Baby Turnips" recipe from Food52 is as easy as it is tasty!

Serves 2


  •  1 bunch baby turnips
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 pinch salt
  1. Trim the tops and tails from the baby turnips (if they are in good shape, reserve the greens for a stir fry or gomae). Rinse the turnips, quarter the bigger ones and halve the small ones, so that you have about a cup of equally sized pieces.
  2. Heat a small skillet and melt the butter. Add the turnips and a pinch of salt and cook them over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes until the are very nicely browned all over and the butter has browned to a nutty flavor. Serve warm.

May I also suggest, if you're offended by the natural spiciness of radishes and turnips- adding some maple syrup to the brown butter a few minutes before they're done.  Sometimes, a little butter isn't bad if it means you'll eat your veggies.

 In other news: I have started selling CSA boxes! Right now I am offering a medium sized box for $15.  We'll run pretty low on things come the dead of winter and I'll probably stop the boxes for a few weeks until we start getting the spring harvests. Right now I am jumping into the CSA garden late in the season so I don't want to promise a lot- I would rather over-deliver than over-charge! Starting in the spring there will be quite a bit more in the boxes and I'll bump the price up accordingly to $20. I also offer bi-weekly boxes if you're not a huge veggie eater also.  A box next week would likely have: 3 heads of lettuce, 2 servings of braising greens, Japanese turnips, winter squash, beets and/or carrots, and onions or garlic. Box contents vary widely! Here is a visual: 
Please feel free to email me at: TenderHeartFarms@gmail.com for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment